Friday, September 04, 2020

Make Your Soul Happy

Happy Friday!  It's Jeanne today with a little inspiration for the holiday weekend!  My card uses a die from the Beach and Tropical release.  That release and others are part of a big Labor Day Sale on the website right now.  And the new Christmas and Halloween dies have just been released!  How fun!
To start I picked my color palette by choosing the patterned paper.  It is part of a set so I knew all the patterns and colors would coordinate.

I cut my pieces using Day at the Beach.  I used ink in the same peach color to shade the under side of the umbrella and Distress Oxide Vintage Photo to shade the sand.  All other pieces are not shaded.  I assembled everything.
Next I cut an A2 card base from white cardstock, a panel 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches from the patterned paper and a white panel using the largest of the Nested Wacky Stitched Rectangles.
I stamped my sentiment in the upper right corner of the white panel.
I wanted that panel to have some texture.  Often I will flick watercolor or ink on a panel but here I didn't want to interfere with the sentiment so I used a favorite stamp in a splatter pattern.  This is one stamp I will not remount for use on an acrylic block.  The wood gives great control and if it doesn't stamp evenly so much the better!
I adhered the patterned paper to the base and centered the sentiment panel on that.  Then I began placing my elements starting with the umbrella, then sand.  I knew the umbrella placement was key because I did not want it to cover up the sentiment.
I then glued the other components to the front...
and added a few sequins for sparkle.  I even found a peach flower sequin!

Now a little extra - card and tip:
I used so many colors of cardstock that I had several extra beach balls, so I assembled them and decided to make another card.  This is note card size - 3 1/2 x 5 inches.  I centered the balls over the sentiment and used a Copic marker to add a shadow under each one.  A tip when aligning multiples - start in the center and work out.  In this case I measured and marked the center of the sentiment and glued down the first ball.  Then I added the two at the ends (I wanted them flush with the sides of the sentiment) then centered the 2nd and 4th balls.  If you trying lining up working one side to the other there is a fair chance of not ending in the the correct spot!

Dies used:
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzdayatthebeach.aspx
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutznestedwackystitchedrectangleset.aspx

Thanks for visiting today!  Be sure to check out the Labor Day Sale online!

I hope you have a fun and creative weekend!


3 comments:

Mary Marsh said...

This is a great beach card Jeanne- so perfect for the Labor Day weekend- enjoying just a bit more of summer

Sukie said...

Super duper cute! The colors and patterns work perfectly on your card!

Pam MacKay said...

Love the colors and splattered background