Thursday, October 06, 2011

Test Tube Treat Box

Good morning, Cottage Cutz fans!  It's Lorie here today to share a cute little Halloween treat gift giving idea with you.  Last week I saw this project showcased on the Splitcoaststampers website, and thought it was the cutest thing, so when I was in the big city on Monday, I stopped by the craft store to pick up some of these test tube treat containers just for this post.  When I saw the dimensions of this little box, I just knew it would be the perfect size for our Cottage Cutz mini dies, and I was right!  They fit on this box beautifully, and I can't wait to make a whole bunch of these for my sweet trick or treaters.  I don't get many Halloween visitors out here in the country, but those that make the trek will get something extra special!!  You can find complete instructions on how this box was made HERE.
 Here's a view of the finished box without the test tube, so that you can see the "Boo" that was cut from the Kara Ashley Alphabet die.  (I didn't have room for an exclamation mark, or I would have added that.)
For this crafty project I used the Owl and Lantern mini Cottage Cutz dies, and I also used the Kara Ashley Alphabet die to make the word "Boo" on the top of the box.  While at CHA last winter, I had the pleasure to meet my fellow DT member, Barry, and he taught me the handiest little trick.  Barry says that most of the time he glues 2-3 layers of cut card stock together, almost making his pieces more like chipboard.  Since most of the time, I color my cut pieces, that doesn't work for me, but I do find that especially when cutting letters, it's a wonderful technique.  It gives them dimension without needing to use foam dots, and it also gives the pieces a more sturdy construction, making them much easier to work with.  Thanks for that tip, Barry!  When you see Barry's work in person, you can really tell that he takes that extra attention to detail and turns his projects into something so special.  It's the little things, I'm tellin' ya!!!  I tell people all the time that it's all about the details!  ;-) 

I hope you like my project today, and that you're happily preparing for those little ghosts and goblins who will be visiting you!  Have a wonderful day and happy crafting!!!




4 comments:

Barbara said...

What an adorable project and your Trick or Treaters will love you!!

Heidi said...

Lorie- this is beautiful! I need to make some of these.

Anonymous said...

Love this :-)

Cheryl Walker said...

OMgosh these are tooo CUTE!!! Ive been searching for these and they are out of stock :( but I did find some others I will use :)

LOVE yours!!!!
Hugs,
Cheryl