Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ferris Wheel Versatility

Hello hello everyone! Good Morning! I have two very different cards to show you today using a common object. Let's see if you can guess what it is (psst... don't worry I'll tell you towards the end of the post)!

I knew exactly what I wanted to create when I started playing with the Ferris Wheel set - Vintage Country Fair! So, that's exactly what I did!


I took some flecked cream cardstock as my base, because I love it (it's my favorite) and it always gives my cards that "eco" look I am drawn to. I decided I'd make a "wooden" ferris wheel using kraft cardstock as the base and dark chocolate cardstock for the wheel. Using just three different patterns, I made my little wheel seats and inked with "Brushed Corduroy" Distress Ink. I loved the idea of keeping a muted color scheme - it kind of reminded me of an old movie set. I used a thin piece of adhesive-backed cork for my center of the wheel.


To create my sentiment - a compass would have been handy. Yes, like the ones we used in geometry class (yuck!). Funny thing is, I have one, but since I never had a use for it, I couldn't find it. Isn't that always how it goes? However, I was able to "wing it" and using the ferris wheel as my guide, I sketched a curved line in pencil and stamped the first part "Life's" from a set of stamps I designed using my own handwriting ("Fashionista" by Market Street Stamps). I then hand-wrote "a journey - enjoy the" and finished off the phrase with the word "ride" from the Ticket Booth set.


That's also where I found the polka dot stamp that I used on the bottom of my card. Loved that everything I needed was right in this release!

So for the second card that I made....do you see what I see?


I cut out multiple wheels "just in case" and noticed when I punched out the areas between the spokes, it kind of looked like a citrus wedge. Why not use half the wheel to create an orange (or a lemon, or a lime, or a grapefruit....)?! With that in mind, I created this card:


And would you have ever guessed it's using the same Ferris Wheel? The versatility is awesome with these dies.

I cut my "orange wedge" using two slightly different colors of orange and inked them up using my Dried Marigold Distress ink. I doodled in some dots to represent the lines in the sections and hand-drew the sentiment with the same white gel pen. The middle part of the sentiment is a Faber-Castell journaling pen.


After adding in the two pretty sculpture flowers I added some Lilac bakers twine from The Twinery and some pom-pom trim from American Crafts to finish it up. What do you think?

Hope you enjoyed today's post - don't forget you still have time to enter Lorie's Christmas in July Challenge! Head over there today and get your project entered before it's too late! I'll be posting a new challenge for you on Wednesday, August 3rd.

Have a beautiful day!
~ Angelica



13 comments:

Lorie said...

Absolutely awesome, Angelia! Your eye for design and vision is amazing, and it sure shows in both of these wonderful creations! Very, very well done!

Unknown said...

Great cards! It's so funny - I thought the ferris wheel looked like a citrus slice too! It's really fun to "discover" the hidden shapes in the dies.
hugs,
Gini

Regina said...

Love your card and thanks for sharing. I have several of your sets on my wish list and now I am adding this die!

CreatedbyKay (Kay Norman) said...

Great creations Angelica! I seem to say how versatile these dies are so often. Love the creativity!

CreatedbyKay (Kay Norman) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanna said...

Great cards..love the orange! :)

Janice W. said...

Both cards are fantastic! I love how you did the sentiments! Nice hand writing! Very inspiring!

Pearl said...

awesome ideas here indeed , Angelia !!! so very creative !

Doris P. said...

now that is being creative! What a good idea -step back and look beyond. i love both cards. need to look at these dies..
parkernana5@cox.net

Jessica Kubit said...

Wow Angelica! You amaze me with your talent! So creative and gorgeous!
Jessica
thecreativestamperspot.blogspot.com

Cheryl Walker said...

super CUTE cards hun!!! Love how you made the wheel into an orange slice very creative!!!! Also love your first card, its super CUTE and love the sentiment to go along with it :)
Beautiful job on both!!
Hugs,
Cheryl

Glora said...

WOW Angelica, these are both BEAUTIFUL. I just love that you made an orange out of it too! Awesome job! Hugs- glora

Barbara said...

GREAT JOB ON BOTH CARDS AND THANKS FOR THE TIP ON HOW YOU WROTE THE SENTIMENT ON A CURVE AND THE ORANGE/LEMON SLICE----BRILLANT!!!!