Friday, January 11, 2019

Valentine Blooming Heart

Happy Friday Cottage Cutz fans!  It's Jeanne posting today and I've been in the mood to make Valentine's Day cards this year.  They are so fun to send to friends and family - not just your "sweetheart" (there should be only ONE of those, right?)  So I've been making Valentine's - or "Galentine's" - Day cards.  This one is right up my alley in a clean and simple style.
I started off by watercoloring a background using Real Red and Powder Pink.
Then I cut a square using the largest of the Nested Scallop Squares dies.
Using the second largest square from the Cross Stitched Squares set, I made a frame by centering it and cutting out the middle.  I just eye balled it to get it centered, but I would recommend using Washi tape to hold it down as you run it through your die cutter so it doesn't shift.
I made an A2 card base from white card stock and stamped my sentiment in the Real Red.
I cut my watercolor panel to a size in between the inner and outer dimensions of the frame.  About 3 1/2 inches.  This is adhered to the card base.  Then I used narrow foam tape to pop up the frame from the base and put it on top.
For my main image I used the Blooming Heart die in silver card stock.  Whenever I have an intricate die such as this I like to use an adhesive sheet on the back.  The die will cut through all layers EXCEPT the "wax paper" backing of the adhesive sheet.  However, that works great because the image peels right off like a sticker!
After I attached my frame, I added the main image and some crystal heart embellishments.

I hope you enjoyed this card today.  I had fun designing it and it is one I can easily see sending out to my friends on Valentine's Day to let them know how special they are.

Dies used:
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzbloomingheart.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutznestedscallopsquareset.aspx
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzcross-stitchedsquaresetbasics.aspx

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a fun and creative weekend!


3 comments:

Mary Marsh said...

I like making valentine cards as well and the term “galentine” never heard it before- but I like that too- pretty watercolored background and it showcases the blooming heart so well

Pam MacKay said...

Wonderful watercolored background so soft and feminine! Lovely card!

Sukie said...

Very pretty card! I also love to make Valentine's cards so I appreciate the inspiration! The background is so gorgeous and I love the beautiful heart!