Wednesday, March 02, 2016

It's Your Day

 
Hello Cottage Cutz Fans! It's Mary Marsh here and I am so excited to be sharing my first post on the blog. I am starting off my term with a masculine birthday card. We all need cards for the guys in our lives and balloon cards are always a winner.
 
I am using the round mini balloon die for this sample. Looks like this die is out of stock right now, but check out this cute balloon variety die that would work as well. So let's get started with the details of how to make this card.
 
cardstock and patterned paper sizes:
red cardstock base measures 4 1/4" x 11" and scored at 5 1/2".
striped patterned paper layer is 4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
embossed yellow layer is 3 3/8" x 4 5/8"
dotted patterned paper is 3 1/8" x 4 3/8"
image panel is 1 7/8" x 3 1/8" and red layering panel is 2 1/8" x 3 3/8"
 
I used double sided tape to secure my panels. The dotted patterned paper is placed on an angle for some card interest. Before the image panel was secured, I added some red burlap ribbon and then some red and white bakers twine over that.
 
Made a mini bow from the same bakers twine and added a sequin center. Even though I am using ribbon on a masculine card, it's burlap and has a masculine appeal to it. Bakers twine is not feminine or frilly so that's ok also.
 
On the yellow embossed panel, I used a birthday words embossing folder.
 
For the image panel, I die cut the balloons in red, yellow and blue to match the colors in the patterned paper. I sponged the edges of the paper with the corresponding inks to give some depth. Stamped the "it's your day" sentiment and added some red sequins to complete my card.
 
I hope this card gave you some inspiration to make a masculine card using these super cute balloon dies. That's it for me for today. So until next time.............inky hugs!
 
 


10 comments:

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Very cute - love the burlap and sequins.

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Very cute - love the burlap and sequins.

Vladuška said...

I like your cheerful birthday card. Clever how you used these balloons.

Janja said...

Balloons are great, perfect for a birthday. Very nice

Barbara Joyce said...

What a fun and festive card, Mary!! The balloons are great, and I love your eye-catching layout!

Karen in PA said...

Welcome, Mary!!!! I love your card sketch, and the way you used the balloon image three times to echo the colors in the card. I like the red burlap, too - that's a fun, festive touch!
karen

Karen Barber said...

Love it Mary!! You are such a whiz with dies!! You will rock being on the design team!!

Stef Perry said...

Congrats on your design team debut, Mary! Terrific card with such festive balloons and bright, happy colors. Love the texture from the red burlap ribbon and the pretty sequin bling!

Anita Kejriwal said...

Very well explained and so bright and pretty.

Jen's Crafty Place said...

This is a fun birthday card. I love it!