Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Beach Life

 

Hello CottageCutz Fans! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit with the Scrapping Cottage Blog. It's Mary Marsh here with the Wednesday edition of the Blog. Today for your viewing pleasure, I have made a pop-up card box with some great nautical dies from CottageCutz.

This type card is really easy to make and when it's decorated has a WOW factor! It also folds flat so it can be put in an envelope for mailing or hand delivery. Lets get started with some instructions.

Step 1:
Cut cardstock to 9” x 5 1/2”. Score on the long side at 2 1/8", 4 1/4”, 6 3/8", and  then at 8 1/2”. Turn the cardstock 90° and score at 2 3/4".
Step 2:
Use a paper cutter or scissors and cut the score lines to the center score. On the end ½” score line cut it off on a diagonal to create a tab.



Step 3:
For this step you need a bone folder, to fold all the score lines for a sharp crease. Once that’s done you tape the tab. Use red line tape and tape the outside of the tab. Bring the tab side over first to the middle and then bring the other half and press together. 
Step 4:
Now you have the look of the box. To add support to the outside back of the box, I used white cardstock measuring 2" x 4 7/8". You can use this panel to stamp a sentiment.  I added the lighthouse, birds (from lighthouse die) and star fish from the paddles and rope ladder die.



Step 5:
To create my layers on the box, I used red card stock cut at 2" x  2 1/4" and patterned paper cut at      1 7/8” x 2 1/8” for the 3 box flaps that are hanging down. I decorated it with the CottageCutz Crab die cut in red cardstock. On the inside back panel the red cardstock measures 2" x 4 7/8" and patterned paper measuring 1 7/8" x 4 5/8".

Step 6:
For the inside dividers, cut cardstock to 3 1/8” x 3 1/8” and score this at ½” and 2 5/8”. Cut this piece in half and fold on the score lines. Both tabs should be folded back.

You use red line on these tabs as well. Tape on the outside of each tab. Tuck the tabs on the inside of the box to create your dividers. You can slightly close the box in this step to make sure the tabs line up straight.



Step 7: Decorating the box
I decorated the inside of the box with several CottageCutz nautical dies. On the back panel I used the large sailboat die, cut in navy blue cardstock. I stamped my "beach life" sentiment and used the circle set basics to cut it out. I cut another circle in red cardstock and slightly offset it.

I also used the Pelican die cut in a white confetti cardstock. Sponged his beak with distress inks. The wood mooring he is standing on is cut in a medium brown shade and the ropes in kraft cardstock. The detail on the pelican and the wood mooring is amazing.

The lighthouse is another detailed die. I cut this one in red cardstock and used navy blue accents. There is even a small cut panel that I cut in yellow for the inside light. If I haven't said it before, I just love these dies.



Well friends, that's it for me today. I hope you enjoyed this card and will give the pop-up box technique a try. So until next time.......inky hugs!!!

 






9 comments:

Vladuška said...

Mary, you did a great job with pop-up card box. I like it very much and nautical dies are so beautiful.

Vicki said...

That is fabulous. This is a fantastic release. Love your box card. Thanks for instructions on how to make one. So excited my order is on its way.

Vicki said...

That is fabulous. This is a fantastic release. Love your box card. Thanks for instructions on how to make one. So excited my order is on its way.

Joanne said...

Wow Mary this is amazing!!! So nice to see so many of the new CottageCutz dies used in your project!

Janja said...

How wonderful. I just love the assortment of die cuts.

Karen in PA said...

You box card is gorgeous and features the dies beautifully. Can't wait to get mine. :0)
Thanks for the directions.
Karen

Cheryl Walker said...

Super CUTE!! Love the pop up boxes, and the dies you used are too sweet! I've seen these so many times, but haven't made one yet! Might have to give this one a try! Thanks for the inspiration!
Hugs
Cheryl

Anita Kejriwal said...

The dies have been used so beautifully

creative lady said...

Mary, your box card is awesome! Great minds think alike...I made a box card too using some of the nautical dies too!!! Great use of all the dies.