Saturday, May 26, 2018

Mama Owl Welcomes Baby

Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit with us today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog. We are still showcasing the beautiful dies from the Mother's Day release. They are so versatile and can be used for cards other than Mother's Day.

Also, want to let you know that there is a Memorial Day sale going on at the online store. You can save up to 50% on selected dies. Lots to choose from so make your way over there to look around. You just might find something that you can add to your collection.

We also have a new release of dies. This one is our "Just For Guys" dies. There are 14 awesome designs and they will be so perfect for creating your Father's Day or other masculine cards. The design team will begin showing samples soon.

For today's card, I am featuring the oh so cute Mama Owl & Baby die, and I made a card to welcome a new baby. I like to have some of these type of cards on hand for either a baby shower or to send out to congratulate on a new birth. So let's get started with some details on how I created my project.

Step 1: I started by picking my card colors this week. I wanted to use some soft baby boy colors. So I chose a Caribbean blue, brown sugar (soft brown), and a patterned paper that has both of these colors for the card base.  I also had some of the Caribbean blue twine that I decided to use. Thought it would fit well with these owl images. Twine and dotted paper - I like the combo for a baby boy card.
Card Base: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Brown Sugar Panel: 4" 1/8" x 5 3/8"
Patterned Paper Layer: 3 7/8" x 5 1/4"
 
Step 2: Cut my Mama & Baby owl. For baby, I used the Caribbean blue cardstock and sponged his wings with the same ink for a bit of color variation. Mama was cut in a cantaloupe shade and her wings and eyes are cut in coral cardstock.  They are so, so cute. I just love how they turned out.
Step 3: Stamped my welcome baby sentiment on white cardstock that was cut with the 3rd largest pierced rectangle die.
I layered that onto another rectangle cut with the Caribbean blue cardstock.  Added a branch for the owls to perch on. It's from the stitched honey bees set.  
Step 4: Added the blue twine to the background panel and attached to card base.

 I used mounting tape to attach the image panel. I wanted it lifted somewhat from the twine. I dimensional adhesive only on the top and bottom of the panel.  No need for the dimension where the panel sits on the twine, since that's already raised.
I finished off this week's card by adding a few hearts cut from the Caribbean blue cardstock.
I hope I have given you an idea on a way to use this really cute Mama Owl & Baby die. It's on sale this weekend. In fact, all the dies I used on today's card are on sale this weekend.

Have a wonderful Holiday weekend! See you next Saturday.

dies I used to create card:
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/search.aspx?find=mama+owl+%26+baby
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzstitchedhoneybees.aspx
 
 
 
 




6 comments:

Lois said...

How very sweet, Mary! I like the idea of the twine wound around the card base. It's a nice alternative to ribbon.

Pam MacKay said...

Great idea for a baby card! So sweet!

Janja said...

How sweet this card is. Owls are so cute.

Bev Polen said...

Mary, I love this owl card!! It is gorgeous!

Jeanne said...

So cute - I love how the Mother's Day dies featuring mommas and their babies can be used for baby cards!

Anja Ž. said...

This is adorable! Love the idea and the colors.