Saturday, September 07, 2019

Mad Hatter "Unbirthday Cake"

Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit with us today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog. 

The new release of Birthday dies have been restocked in the online store.  So if you didn't get the ones you wanted previously, all 25 designs are in stock. This release is filled with cute little whimsical animals, birthday cakes, cupcakes and birthday phrases. Everything you need to create some outstanding birthday cards.

Today for your viewing pleasure, I am featuring the Mad Hatter Cake die. In case you aren't familiar with the story of Alice in Wonderland, she attends an "unbirthday" party.

Alice at first doesn't realize what an un-birthday is; when the Mad Hatter explains it to her, she realizes it is her un-birthday as well, and receives an un-birthday cake from the Mad Hatter Everyone has one birthday a year so all the other days are your un-birthday! My friend's daughter loves everything with an "Alice" theme. So I think I am going to send this to her.

So let's get started with some details on how I created my "un-birthday card".

Step 1: The sketch #765 over on Splitcoaststampers caught my eye.  It would allow me to use designer paper and the center panel is perfect for my mad hatter cake image.
I looked through my designer papers for one that would fit with the fantasy world theme of Alice in Wonderland. I found this paper and I thought the quirky design would work. It's from the Playful Palette collection by Stampin'-Up. I used the coordinating cardstocks for my card base and layering panel.
Black card Base: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Sweet Sugarplum layering panel: 4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
Designer Paper: 3 7/8" x 5 1/8"

Next I cut the Mad Hatter Cake image using coordinating and complimentary cardstocks- berry burst, sweet sugarplum, peek-a-boo peach, dapper denim and emerald envy. 
For element 3 of the sketch, I cut black cardstock 1 1/2" x 5 1/8". For element 4, I used the 2nd largest (3 1/8") stitched square die and cut in sweet sugarplum cardstock. For element 5, I used the 2nd largest circle set die and cut in very vanilla cardstock. 
Step 2:  I am ready to start card assembly. I secured the panels with double sided tape. 
Attached the square and circle with double sided tape. On the mad hatter cake I used dimensional adhesive to lift it off the circle slightly. That always adds a bit of depth to your card. 
Since I wanted this to be an Un-Birthday card, I had to get a bit creative with the sentiment. I used the Happy banner from the Festive Birthday Greeting die and then computer generated my Un-Birthday phrase. 
To complete my card, I attached the panels to the black card base and added a few hearts for interest. 
That's it for me for this week. Hope I have sparked an idea for a way to use the Mad Hatter Cake die. 
To all our stamping friends out there not celebrating a birthday today, I share this day with all of you. A very merry, crazy, happy, lovely, silly, and sweet  un-birthday to you!!!
See you next Saturday!

dies I used to create card:







3 comments:

Pam MacKay said...

Love the rich color combo and the fun background paper!

Sukie said...

Super cute! The color combination is so pretty! I'm sure friend's daughter will love this!

Janja said...

Gorgeous card Mary.