Sunday, April 16, 2023

Lattice Card with 3D Vellum Butterfly


Happy Sunday friends ღ

Kris here to share with you some crafty inspiration! I had some fun with vellum and metallic foil cardstock with the brand new Spring Butterflies from the new Easter/Spring Release.  

I decided to revisit a very old fun fold (I made some of these about 15+ years ago) but haven't made them in such a long time... it's called the Lattice Fold. 

Design Steps:

1.  I started with a double sided 12" piece of patterned cardstock and cut it to 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" - and scored the long edge at 4-1/4"

2.  I created a lattice template by cutting a piece of  65 lb. paper at 2-1/2" x 5-1/2"

3.  With paper placed vertically in front of me, I measured and made tick marks at 1/2" and 7/8" (from the left edge of paper) and drew straight lines to connect them as shown below.


4.  Along the very left edge of template, I made tick marks at 1/2".... 7/8".... 1-1/4".... 1-5/8".... 2".... 2-3/8".... 2-3/4".... 3-1/8".... 3-1/2".... 3-7/8".... 4-1/4".... 4-5/8"

5.  Along the 1/2" and 7/8" lines, I made tick marks at 1-1/4".... 2".... 2-3/4".... 3-1/2".... 4-1/4".... 5"


6.  I then used my ruler to draw diagonal lines to connect the tick marks as shown below.  Start at the top and connect the top tick mark on the left with the top mark on the 7/8" line.  Then 2nd line will connect to the 2nd tick mark on the left with the 1st mark in the 1/2" line and so on (see photo below)


7.  Fold your card base in half and align your template with the left folded edge of card.  Use clips to keep template in place and CUT only the diagonal lines.


8.  Remove the template and open your base.  Carefully cut off the bottom mountain (or upside-down "V") as shown below.


9.  Skip the next mountain, and bend the next one down and fold tip under the mountain that it overlaps as shown.  Continue moving up, and skipping every other mountain.


10.  Next I took that mountain I cut off in the beginning and added it to the TOP to complete that unfinished lattice area, only gluing the top of the "V" on each side.


11.  Next. I cut a piece of coordinating cardstock (green) that is 4-3/16" x 5-1/2" and taped it to the inside right of card.  It's best to apply your tape/glue to the (inside) card base instead of the insert.

*IMPORTANT - do not just adhere tape or glue to your green piece as you normally would, or you'll have adhesive showing thru the lattice on the front of your card and possibly stick to your envelope.


12.  Next I applied some glue to the parts of the lattice that are near the edge of the green cardstock.


13.  I stamped a sentiment onto lavender cardstock and die cut it with the largest of the Nested Scallop Rectangles set, then attached it to a darker purple cardstock that I had cut at 3-1/8" x 4-1/8" and adhered to card front as shown.

14.  I die cut the Spring Butterflies 3x --- once from vellum and twice from pink foiled cardstock, but one of those I ran it thru the machine with less pressure so that it would keep the inner parts in tact.  


15.  I glued all of the pink full butterfly with all the tiny pieces directly to my card front as shown below.

16.  The next pink butterfly, I punched out all the tiny pieces, and only applied glue to the body and adhered to body already there.  Then I slightly bend the wings upwards for more dimension.


17.  The vellum butterfly, I punched out all the tiny bits and applied glue to just the body, then bent the wings upwards even more than the pink one, for a very 3D effect.  The glue I use is Dries Clear by Art Glitter Glue so it won't show under the vellum. 




Thanks so much for popping by today!  
Have a BLESSED Sunday y'all! ♥Kris

PRODUCTS:




2 comments:

Mary Marsh said...

This is a beautiful card Kristine and I love this funfold design

Anna Spot News said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.