Saturday, April 02, 2022

Easter Pop-Up Card

Hello CottageCutz friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit with us today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog.

It's release time!!! The Australian Friends release is in the online store.  You can pick up the bundle at 50% off the list price or 30% off each individual die. These cute little animals are so perfect for all your cardmaking styles and occasions. The DT will begin showing samples in the next week. 

For your viewing pleasure today, I am featuring a pop-up card using the Bunny Express Engine die. So, let's get started on some details of how I created my card.  

Design Steps: 

I started my card by cutting the bunny engine. I used the packaging as an assist to help with the colors. I use colored cardstock on my card creations, but you can also cut in white then color with your favorite coloring medium. 
Then I looked through my designer papers for a fun pattern that would work for a whimsical Easter card. I found this dotted paper that I thought was cute and decided to go with it. The coordinating light purple cardstock would work well on the card inside to display the engine when it pops-up. 
Freesia Card Base: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Misty Moonlight Layering Panel: 4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
Designer Paper Layer: 3 7/8" x 5 1/8"

Next, I worked on my pop-up panel mechanism. I started with cardstock that measures 3 1/2" x 4 1/4". I scored it at 3/4", 1 1/2", 2 1/4" and 3". I used my bone folder on the score lines. 
Then I added some red line tape to the end of the score lines- it's the 1/2" part at the end of the cardstock. 
I removed the top layer to expose the tape and then closed the cardstock to form the mechanism for the pop-up. It should look like a cube of sorts. 
Before I attach the pop-up mechanism, I worked on the inside of the card. I stamped a sentiment on white cardstock and added a small panel of designer paper to the bottom. 
White cardstock: 4" x 5 1/4"
Designer Paper: 1/2" x 4"
Misty Moonlight layer: 5/8" x 4"
Now I can attach the pop-up mechanism. I added red line tape to the section that I wanted to face down on the card. It's the part where the seam is, and I didn't want that to show. 
I then attached the mechanism to the inside of the card. It should sit just below the score line, so it doesn't interfere with the card when it opens. I added more red line tape to the back of the mechanism that will attached to the card base. 
Removed the tape and closed the card to secure the back of the mechanism to the card base. 
I moved back to the card front to attach the designer paper. I added the Happy Easter sentiment from the Spring Sentiments die. It's cut in the misty moonlight cardstock. I cut an oval from the freesia cardstock and attached to the card front, with dimensional adhesive. 
I finished off the inside of the card by adding my train images to the pop-up mechanism. I decided to add some clouds as the background for the train. I stenciled with distress inks. 
And, that's my sample for this week. See you next Saturday.

Reminder: Our YouTube Channel has a new video from Jen Hartsgrove. There is a giveaway for being a subscriber, liking the video and leaving a comment. Click here.




dies I used to create card:










2 comments:

Jeanne said...

This is such a clever idea Mary. I love how you've created the pop-up - the train fits it perfectly.

Pam MacKay said...

Sweet pop up card love your sky