Monday, July 17, 2017

Wedding Diorama

Hi, Lois here with some exciting news.  Two  new die collections have just been released, and you can see them on the website.  The first collection is a series of wedding dies -- both elegant and whimsical.  The second collection contains nested shapes -- squares, circles, rectangles and ovals -- in both stitched and eyelet designs.  My card today was made using dies from both collections.  It is a diorama card.



To start my card I cut two panels of pink cardstock 4 1/4" x 9 1/2" and one panel of cream cardstock 4 1/4" x 7 1/2", as well as two pieces of wedding patterned paper  4" x 5 1/4" and one piece 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".


I scored the pink cardstock at 2" in from each side and the cream cardstock 1" in from each side.  Then I centered the patterned paper.  The 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece was adhered to the cream piece; the other two identical pieces were adhered to the pink pieces.


Fold on the score lines as follows:  one piece of pink and the one piece of cream were folded with the tabs going toward the back of the card; the other piece of pink has the tabs folded toward the front of the card.

Using the largest stitched scalloped rectangle die, I cut an opening in the front panel.  Using the second largest double-stitched rectangle die, I cut an opening in the center, cream panel.   I did not use these cut-out panels on my card, so I can save them for other projects where the stitching will then show. 


I then cut the bride and groom pieces from white, black and silver cardstock/paper.


I colored the skin and hair with markers . . .


. . . and constructed them on the back panel.


As I usually make up my designs as I go along, at this point I decided that I would probably need to embellish my card a bit; so I cut some additional die-cuts.


I had tried to cut the wedding bells from the same silver glittery paper I used to cut the background for the bridal gown, but the cuts were too intricate for that paper.  So I just cut it from silver paper and brushed some clear Wink of Stella over them to give them the same sparkly look.

Then I constructed my card.  I applied glue to the outsides of the tabs on the center panel and glued it to the tabs on the back panel.  I added the wedding bells and bow to the center panel.



Then I applied glue to the insides of the tabs on the front panel and completed the card.  I added the "celebrate" to the bottom of the front panel.


Here is a close-up looking into the card.


This card will lie flat for mailing; however, a custom-sized envelope will be necessary as the card measures 4 1/4" x 7 1/2" when it lies flat.

I decided  to make another, simple card using the cut-out portions from my diorama.  I cut another panel with the Nested Stitched Scallop Rectangle die to match the cut-out portion from the front of my first card.  After carefully removing the patterned paper from the pink panel, I adhered it to the black panel and mounted the smaller rectangle from the center panel on top.  Then I die-cut the Mr and Mrs sentiment and glued it to the front and added some red hearts (also from the Mr and Mrs die).  I adhered this to a white card base and added some light accents with a white gel pen.   Voila!  Another card!




CottageCutz dies used on this card are:

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzelegantbrideandgroom.aspx



http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzweddingbellswithbow.aspx




http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutznestedstitchedscalloprectangleset.aspx


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzdouble-stitchedrectanglesetbasics.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzexpressionscelebrate.aspx


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzmrandmrswithhearts.aspx


6 comments:

SugarShine Designs said...

Lois, Your main card is unique and would stand out among the blizzard of cards a couple receives. I'm going to have to try the technique. The card made from "left overs" is also a great idea and it's beautiful too!

Pam MacKay said...

What an awesome keepsake for a newlyweds couple! Beautifully done Lois!

Mary Marsh said...

Lois you never cease to amaze with your technique cards-this one is beautiful-the couple who receives this one should keep it out on display-and making a 2nd one with the leftovers is a great way to use up scraps of paper-I like the new dies and you showed them well

roseflowerbooks said...

Amazing card and diorama. Do you think you might do a new card featuring the nested stitched scalloped eyelet dies. I'm incredibly curious how those look cut out.

Anja Ž. said...

Wow, this is just beautiful Lois. Love the idea with the diorama and how you decorated it.

Anita Kejriwal said...

What a gorgeous card!! perfect for weddings