Saturday, February 11, 2017

February Violets + Colored Pencil technique


Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog.

We have some fabulous new stamp & die combo sets released. Today for your viewing pleasure I am featuring one of the new Birthday Flowers sets. This one is the Violets Flower - February.  Not only is it a stamp but it has a matching die. So let's get started on how I created my card.

Purple Card Base: 5 1/8" x 4"
Wide Rectangle Frame: 4 3/4" x 3 3/4"
Kraft Image Panel: 4 5/8" x 3 5/8"

For this week's card, I wanted to use Prismacolor pencils to color my image on Kraft cardstock. I  stamped the Violet's image with white pigment ink. I set it aside to dry for a few hours or you could speed up the process with your heat tool.

For my next step I gathered up the Prismacolor pencils I wanted to use. I chose 2 different shades of purple pencils (PC932 & PC1008) for the flowers and 2 shades of green pencils (PC109 & PC989) for the leaves and stems. On the centers I used a yellow (PC916) and an orange pencil (PC1002).
What I like about this technique is that after you color the image the white pigment ink is still there and gives your image that little pop. I used the lighter purple pencil to color the flower and then the darker to add shading. The darker pencils give it depth and define the flower. I did the same with the leaves.

It really produces a soft look by stamping on the kraft cardstock and then using the colored pencils. You definitely should give this technique a try.
Once the image was colored, I decided to cut a rectangle frame in white cardstock and use the new Calendar Months die to cut out February. I thought this would be a nice card to send to someone special to let them know you are thinking about them. Come February we are getting tired of winter and a handmade card always brightens someone's spirits.

The final step before assembling my card was to step the sentiment. I like to use my MISTI tool with clear stamps in case you don't get a good image the first time. With this tool you just re-ink your stamp and try again.  I used a chocolate ink for my sentiment because the card look is so soft. I thought black was a bit too stark.
 
 
To assemble the card, I used double sided tape to secure the layers together and Ranger multi-matte medium to secure the February die cut at the top of the card. 
 
Well, that's it for me for this week. I hope I have inspired you to pull out your colored pencils and give this technique a try. So until next time.........inky hugs!!!
 
 
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzviolets-februarystampanddie.aspx
 
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzcalendarmonths.aspx
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/search.aspx?find=pierced+wide+rectangle
 

3 comments:

Janja said...

I love violets. Very nice.

Lois said...

I love the soft look you achieved with your pencils, Mary!

Anita Kejriwal said...

What a pretty card . I loved the kraft background.