Monday, May 15, 2017

Koala Shaker Card

Hi, Lois here with my Monday post.  CottageCutz recently released a whole batch of baby-related dies.  One of them is a cute koala, which I used on my shaker card today.


Supplies used on this card are:

Blue cardstock  - 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored at 2 1/8" and 6 3/8"
Blue cardstock 4 1/4" x 4 1/4"
White cardstock approx. 3 3/4" x 3 1/2"
Patterned paper (2 panels) 1 7/8" x 5 1/4"
Scrap of patterned paper approx. 3 1/4" x 2"
White fun foam
Acetate
Copic markers (B0000, B60, BG32, BG34,Y21, and 100)
Ranger inks - Tea Dye and Antique Linen
Various sequins and seed beads
2 black mini brads
Liquid glue, foam pop dots, and tape runner
CottageCutz dies - Baby Koala w/ Blanket, Pierced Wide Circle Frame Set,  Double-Stitched Circle Set, Double-Stitched Oval Set

When I was thinking about what I wanted to do with this cute koala, I thought he would look cute framed in a shaker card.  To start the card, I cut the koala from white cardstock and sponged him with Tea Dye and Antique Linen ink.  The blanket and baby bottle were colored with Copic markers.


Then I cut the card base and shaker pieces.  I tried an experiment and instead of using foam tape to create my shaker box, I cut three layers of white fun foam with the Wide Circle Frame die. 


As an afterthought (and not shown), I decided that the koala would look better if he were sitting on a little rug.  So I cut another piece of patterned paper using an oval die.  I layered the three pieces of fun foam using liquid glue, glued the white circle to the bottom, and let it sit until the glue was dried.  At the same time I glued the blue frame to the acetate circle.   I adhered the two 1 7/8" x 5 1/4" panels of patterned paper to each side of the "gate."

After the glue had dried,  I brushed the insides of the foam with some baby powder to make it less "sticky" (just in case some of the glue seeped out from between the layers and glued the shaker frame to the card base -- just on one side.


I constructed the koala using foam pop dots and glue.  It was at this point that I realized that he really should be sitting on a rug and cut one from another piece of patterned paper, which I glued to the inside of the acetate.


Then I poured  the various sequins and seed beads into the shaker box and glued on the acetate circle.   I adhered the 4" x 5 1/4" piece of white cardstock to the inside of the card and stamped a sentiment (not shown).  I must admit that, even though I had rubbed the baby powder around the inside edge of the glued fun foam, I did get some errant sequins and beads stick to the sides.  I may have to rethink that in the future.


I did enjoy making this shaker card and hope you might give it a try.

CottageCutz dies used on my card are:
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzbabykoalawblanket.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzpiercedwidecircleframesetbasics.aspx


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzdouble-stitchedcirclesetbasics.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzdouble-stitchedovalsetbasics.aspx


7 comments:

Anja Ž. said...

Your card is so cute, Lois. I love how you colored this adorable koala.

SugarShine Designs said...

Lois, Your koala is so sweet and using a shaker on a gate fold is a great idea. Anyone who would receive this card couldn't help feeling special.

Janja said...

Super cute card, Lois.

Pam MacKay said...

Super cute design love the shaker idea! I love that koala!

Bev Polen said...

Lois, your card is outstanding!! I love the little shaker on a gate fold card!

Anita Kejriwal said...

Lovely shaker card.

Mary Marsh said...

this koala looks great as part of a shaker card Lois-so creative to make it a gatefold as well