Monday, May 08, 2017

Noah's Ark Bendi Card

Hi, Lois here today with a really fun card.  I recently saw a U-Tube video on a variation of a Bendi Card, with just a little different look.  Instead of the two narrow panels crossing each other, they just met in the middle.  I was intrigued by this variation and decided to try to make one myself.  I used one of the new baby dies from CottageCutz called Noah's Ark.


Supplies used on this card:

White cardstock - 4 1/4" x 11", scored at 5 1/2"
Light blue cardstock - 4" x 5 3/8"
Aqua cardstock - 4" x 5 3/8", two strips 2 1/8" x 4 3/4", two panels 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Patterned paper - 4" x 5 1/4"
Pieces of brown, gray, and white cardstock for the die-cuts
Wave border punch
Various inks and markers
Sponge daubers
White gel pen
Foam pop dots
2 small washers
CottageCutz dies - Noah's Ark, Congratulations

To begin my card I cut all the cardstock I would need.


Score the white piece in half and glue the light blue cardstock to the upper section (sky) and the 4" x 5 3/8" aqua piece (ocean) to the lower section.  Then using the wave punch, punch a border on the two 2 1/8" x 4 3/4" strips and score them at 1/2" and 4 1/4".   Sponge along the bottom with Ranger Distress Salty Ocean ink and run a white gel pen along each of the waves.


Adhere some Scor-Tape on the 1/2" sections and adhere to the upper section of the card, just above the score line to allow some leeway for the fold.   Cut two strips from one of the 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" pieces of aqua cardstock and punch along the top, forming the waves on the background.  Sponge as above and apply white gel pen to the waves.   Trim to 4" wide.  Glue to the background.  Using scissors, cut at the front score lines on each of the "wave" strips -- down halfway from the top on one of them and up halfway from the bottom on the other.  This will allow the two panels to lock into each other.   Here is the completed card base.


Now the fun begins.  Die cut the pieces of the ark.  I cut the ark itself, as well as the monkey, the owl, and the cow, from brown and/or tan cardstock; the hippo and elephant from gray cardstock; the wave from aqua cardstock; and the rest from white.  Then I colored the various pieces with either distress ink or Copic markers.


This part was actually the hardest -- constructing each of the animals and placing them in the ark.


Next, cut the sentiment from brown cardstock.  To make it easier to adhere to the card, I ran a strip of brown cardstock through my Xyron X sticker maker and removed the protective clear sheet before I ran the die through my die-cutting machine. 



To finish off the outside of the card, I adhered the other 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of aqua cardstock to the back of the upper section and then applied the patterned paper.   This hides the two tabs on the back from the "wave" pieces. As this is actually the back of the card, I didn't think it was necessary to put any kind of sentiment or design on it.


When I put the card together, the back was rather heavy and tipped the card back.  After some thought, I found two flat washers, which I adhered to the inside bottom of the two "wave" panels.  This allowed for a balance in weight and allowed the card to stand upright.


I then adhered the sentiment on the lower section in front of the "waves," and I was done.


This was such a fun card to make.

CottageCutz dies used were:


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutznoahsark.aspx


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/search.aspx?find=congratulations

7 comments:

SugarShine Designs said...

Lois - Your card is genius! Love, love, love it. What a super wow card! I've got to give this card base a try myself.

Janja said...

Absolutely beautiful card! This is a real eye-catcher. I like it.

Pam MacKay said...

Amazing design! Love that wonderfully Noah's ark! Beautifully done!

Mary Marsh said...

This is such a creative work of art Lois-you are definitely the queen of fancy folds on our team- I love this card-and using washers to balance out the weight is genius!!

Bev Polen said...

Wow, Lois!! Your card is an outstanding design and so marvelous!! I love everything about it!! Great artwork, Lois!!

Anita Kejriwal said...

Lovely Design Lois.... Such minute detailing.

Anja Ž. said...

Wow, your design is super cool. I like how you made the waves and the boat. Great idea!