Saturday, May 20, 2017

Exploring in a MotorHome (New Die)


Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog.

There is another great release of new dies over in the online store. The Expressions Plus (word dies) with 35 designs are available right now. The font is so beautiful and you will definitely want these in your collection. Janet (our video artist) has put together a video showcasing some of these new dies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSLcthpx5W0&feature=youtu.be


For your viewing pleasure today, I am featuring one of the new dies. I am using the Explore Phrase. As soon as I saw this word, I thought of making an outdoor scene with the dies from the November 2016 Camping Bundle set.

I have some friends that just retired. they bought a motorhome and are taking a 3 month trip across our beautiful country. This is a retirement celebration card for them.

I thought the outdoor scene would work best in a different type fold. I found a tutorial on YouTube for a double front fold card. You have your front image, then an inside image an then another panel for a 2nd inside image.  Here is a video link. I will also give you a step by step tutorial.

So let's get started with some details on how I created my card this week.

Step 1: I started by cutting my navy blue card base. It is 5 1/2" x 8 1/2". I scored it at the 4 1/4" point and cut 2 1/4" off  the 8 1/2" side. This is how I achieved the front fold on my card.  I set that aside to work on my outside image panel.
Step 2: The next step was to cut the Motorhome. I used light and dark gray + red cardstock on the image. The white panel is cut at 2 3/4" x 3 1/4". I layered that over red cardstock measuring 3" x 3 1/2". I stamped my sentiment and set this aside to work on the inside image panel.
 
Step 3: On this panel I used the images from the Campsite & Woodland Friends dies. I cut the pine tree in a dark green, a yellow sun and the directional arrows in red, green and blue. I cut a small cloud from the sun & clouds die and used that as a template and did a bit of background sponging.

The white panel is cut at 2 3/4" x 3 1/4". Cut the explore phrase word in navy cardstock. I layered this panel over red cardstock measuring 3" x 3 1/2".

Step 4: I cut another piece of white cardstock at 5 /14" x 8" and scored it at 4". I attached this image panel to the cardstock and then secured it to my navy blue card base.

1st inside image
Now I can attach the front panel to the card.  It goes directly over the inside image. I used Scor-tape to make sure it stays put when the card gets opened and closed.
 
 
Step 5: Now it's time to decorate the inside hidden panel or the double fold part. I used the Jamboree Bear die and the campfire from the Campfire Squirrel die. The background paper is some that I had in my stash. It reminds me of a nighttime sky so I thought it would work well here.
 
2nd inside image
Well, that completes my card for this week. I hope I have shown you another way to use the new Expression Phrases dies and incorporating them with existing CottageCutz product you already have. And, I hope you will give this fun fold a try. I think it makes a big impact on a card.  
 
Dies I used to create card:
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzwoodlandfriends.aspx

 
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzcampsite.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzjamboreebear.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzmotorhome.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzsnowcappedmountains.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzexpressionsplusexplorephrase.aspx
 
Front panel
1st inside panel
2nd inside panel
 

7 comments:

SugarShine Designs said...

That's one awesome card! It's just one cute scene after another! Your friends are going to love it. I bet it finds a place to be displayed in their new "home."

Bev Polen said...

Mary, your card is a perfect gift for someone retiring and traveling around the US. It is a very creative and gorgeous card!! I love the design of the card, and I'm sure it will be loved by your friends. Love it!!

Pam MacKay said...

What an awesome card love all of the detail that went into making it. Fantastic job Mary!

Janja said...

I like the different combinations you put together. This is so happy adventure. Nice!

Anita Kejriwal said...

Such a great detail on the card . Loved the way you have combined the dies

Lois said...

Such a cute card, Mary. My sister and her husband are RV enthusiasts. They would love this one.

Anja Ž. said...

I love the way you made the opening. Very clever.