Tuesday, April 18, 2017

~ Follow Your Dreams (new dies) ~


Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Tuesday edition of the Blog.

We just had the cutest release of baby dies. There are 42 different designs. So perfect for creating cards to welcome the new baby or even as baby shower invitations.
Today for your viewing pleasure, I am showcasing the new Choo Choo Train dies. But, I am showing another way to use this die that isn't centered around a baby card.

So without further delay, let's get started on how I created my card.

Teal Card Base: 5 5/8" x 4 3/8"
Black Layer Panel: 5 1/2" x 4 1/4"
Image Panel: 5 3/8" x 4 1/8"

Step 1: I started my card this week by die cutting my train pieces. I used the colors from the Splitcoaststampers color challenge #631. The colors are red, kraft, teal and black. I also used a neutral of light and dark gray.
teal, black, red, kraft

Step 2: I decided to create an outdoor scene for my train. I started it by sponging the teal ink on the top part of my white cardstock.

I wanted some mountains in this scene so I took a post it note (it's blue) and tore it into a mountain range shape. Placed it on my cardstock to cover the card top and sponged in chocolate ink.
 
For the final step to the background, I sponged more teal ink and then crumb cake and tea dye distress. I was happy with how the background turned out.
Step 3: I usually stamp my sentiment as one of my last things to complete my card. But, since I had a couple of layers on this one I stamped at this point in the process. I used Tuxedo Black ink and my MISTI for placement.
Step 4: I placed my train cars, couplings and track on the completed background scene.
 
Step 5: I layered the black cardstock to the image panel and then to my teal card base. And, that completed this card. Here is a close-up of the card. I wanted to show the detail in the train cars -right down to the couplings that connect the train together. You can click any of the photos to make them larger. 
 
I hope I have given you an idea for a different way to use this die. Sometimes by just thinking out of the box a bit, you can get a creative idea to use a die in a unique way. Well, that's it for me for this post. See you on Saturday.
 
 
Dies I used to create card:

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzchoochootrain.aspx







7 comments:

Pam MacKay said...

Oh I love how your little train looks! Your scene is just awesome!

Janja said...

Sooo cute and fun! Nice sponged background.

Lois said...

I love that you were able to use this train set for something other than a baby card. It gives the dies so much versatility! Love it!!!

SugarShine Designs said...

A very clever use of the train Mary! Your scene is so creative. Very cool.

Bev Polen said...

Oh, Mary, I LOVE your outstanding card with the little train!! You did a great job with the die!

Anja Ž. said...

I love your background landscape. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Anita Kejriwal said...

Brilliant Work!!! so simple but so classy.