Monday, April 10, 2017

Framed Plumeria

Hi, Lois here with my Monday post.  Before I tell you about my card for today, I want to let you know that CottageCutz has some brand-new baby dies in the store.  Be sure to check them out -- they're on sale at 25% off the regular price.  Today I've made a card using some more new-to-me CottageCutz dies. I love making shaped flowers, and the Plumeria die allowed me to have a bit of fun.  I thought I was unfamiliar with the plumeria, so I Googled it.  As it turns out, the frangipani is a common variety of plumeria -- and I actually had a frangipani in my yard at a house in which I lived many years ago.  Here's my card:


Supplies used on this card are:

Orchid cardstock - 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" folded in half, scrap for circle
Pale orchid cardstock - approximately 3 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Patterned paper - 4" x 5 1/4"
White cardstock - approximately 4" x 5 1/2" to cut frame, scrap for circle, larger piece to cut flowers
Green cardstock - large enough to cut leaves
Scrap of yellow cardstock
Sentiment stamp
Copic markers - Y02, Y04, Y21, RV00, RV63, E71
Green ink
Embossing folder
Micro glue dots
Circle punches
Foam tape
CottageCutz dies - Plumeria and Leaves, Leafy Foliage, Pierced Wide Rectangle Frame Set

I must admit  that, when I start a card, I do NOT meticulously plan out what it is going to look like.  I usually have half an idea in my head and sort of roll with it, and I wasn't sure just how many flowers and leaves I was going to need to complete my card.  So I cut several sets of the Plumeria and Leaves, plus one set of the Leafy Foliage.


As I mentioned before, I didn't think I knew anything about the plumeria; so, in order to color the petals, I Googled "plumeria" and found this photo.


Using several shades of red-violet and yellow, I colored all my die-cut flowers.


Using a sponge, I gave the leaves some shadowing; and I colored the branches and the flower centers with Copic markers.


As you can see on the photo of the plumeria flowers, the petals are slightly layered over each other.  So I snipped between the petals and, using micro glue dots, layered the petals over each other so they looked a bit more realistic.


Then I cut the pieces to make the card base . . .



. . .  and constructed my card.  Before adhering the background inside the frame with foam tape, I embossed the pale orchid piece of cardstock.  Here is a close-up showing all the dimension created by layering the leaves, flowers, and frame.


I then stamped the sentiment, punched it out, layered it on a punched orchid circle and adhered the circle on the side of the frame.  By the way, I still have some already-colored blossoms left that I can use for another card!



CottageCutz dies used on this card are:


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzplumeriaandleaves4x4pre-order.aspx


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzleafyfoliage4x6pre-order.aspx


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzpiercedwiderectangleframesetbasics.aspx




6 comments:

Anja Ž. said...

Wow, your flowers are beautiful!

Mary Marsh said...

this is a fantastic card Lois-your flowers are really beautiful and I love the coloring

Bev Polen said...

Wow, Lois, this card is spectacular!! I love the beautiful flowers and your coloring of them. They look so close to the flower in the picture. The designer paper is gorgeous as is the card design. Great card, Lois!!

Janja said...

This is a nice card, Lois. The flowers are beautiful.

Pam MacKay said...

FANTASTIC card Lois your flowers are just so lovely! The colors you picked are bright and happy! Wonderful job on your great card!!

Anita Kejriwal said...

Beautiful card Lois !! fantastic colours !!!!