Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What came first . . the chick or the egg?

 This week I have a little Easter Treat Box. . You can add two real decorated eggs, plastic eggs with treats or just a hand full of candy. This is a great gift for the office.
 Here I am showing you the main items that trim the basket. I used the Cottage Cutz Filigree Easter Eggs Die, this die has three style filigree eggs. (I cut five eggs) I used the swirl style filigree egg and cut from Bazzill Bling Diamond White card stock. Than highlighted with Crystal Stickles. The second is the Cottage Cutz Grass Border Die. (I cut two complete strips and than cut them into two 3 1/2" and  two at 1 1/2" pieces) It is real easy to cut the grass at any place. . you just cut off at the round of a blade of grass. The grass was cut from Bazzill Bling Bank Roll Green card stock. Than highlighted in green ink with a sponge. Last I added various size and colors of green seed beads to the edge of the grass for texture. I used Glossy Accents to glue the beads.
The Very Cute Chick was made using the Cottage Cutz Winter Bird Die. This little guy is not just a bird, but works great as a chick. I used Bazzill Glow Yellow card stock and highlighted with Orange Ink with a sponge. Than added a bit of Crystal Stickle for a shimmer. This Cottage Cutz die comes with two different clear stamps to add a face. (Wow . . I don't have to worry about a cross eyed chick, I always mess the face up when I do them by hand). With the second picture up. . you can see the two different faces. . just ink the face and add a bit of white from a Gelly Roll pen. I used foam dots to raise the face for dimension and added a bow to the under edge of the chicks face.
Here is the Egg Tote. I used the five swirl eggs from the Cottage Cutz Filigree Die to randomly add to the tote. Than cut all the overlap off . (one egg on each long side, one on each side of the handle and split an egg for each  end). Remember not to center, the eggs are really off to the side of the chick.
I hope you can see the basic layout of the tote. You need to CUT TWO of the above. You start with two pieces of Bazzill Bling In the Pink, Pink card stock cut 5" x 7 1/2".
Across the 7 1/2" side, Score @ 1 3/4", than 3 1/2", than 5 1/2" than 7".
Across the 5" side, Score @ 1" than 2 1/2" than 3 1/2" only the last three blocks.
Cut a 3/4" hole for the handle. 1/2" from the top.
Cut as you see above. (the slits and those three outside pieces are salvage.
Note: if you feel afraid you may mess-up. . .do one with a scrap of card stock first. . .
Fold and glue each box. Notice I gave you flaps on the top, this is to fold in. . for added weight to the box. OPPS. . I know I showed you both boxes with handles cut. . But it is easier to cut ONE handle first, glue the boxes back to back. . than using the first hole as a template. . cut the second hole. This will make your handle line up perfect. Use a corner rounder on the top. Easy Box, no die needed.
Happy Chick Day to all!  Barry


5 comments:

Janice W. said...

So glad you stayed on with us Barry! Love the box tutorial! Adorable project!

Cheryl Walker said...

Barry your box is AWESOME!!!! I love how you used the winter bird and layered it. Super sweet!!!! Always LOVE seeing your designs!!!! :)
Hugs,
Cheryl

Carol Hurlock said...

This box is just darling. I love the cute "chick" and how you decorated the box with those pretty eggs. Just love it!

Barbara said...

So happy that you have returned to the blog. Love the project.

Lorie said...

Woohoo! Barry's baaaack!! This tutorial is nothing short of awesome! Very creative turning the winter bird into an Easter chick! I'm gonna make some of these boxes. WONDERFUL, Barry, and I'm so glad you're with us again!!