Tuesday, March 06, 2012

CottageCutz Happy Easter Layout

Good morning CottageCutz fans!  Spring will soon be sprung, and with it comes one of my favorite holidays, which is Easter.  Today, I'm working with the CottageCutz Bunnies in the Grass border die. This is such a versatile set, which includes sentiments AND the cute bunnies in the grass border.  This border can be used as an accent, or focal point, depending on how you choose to use it.  I'm actually using it as more of a focal point on my layout.  Since I can't get my new computer's software to help me with editing a video, my instructions for the technique I used are in the form of pictures today.   Playing with this die cut was sure fun.  I hope you like it, and if you need a closer look at any of these photos, just click on them!  :-)

 Here's a picture of the supplies I used.  I don't know that there's an actual "offical" name for the technique I use here, besides "chalking", but it's a variation of a "chalkboard technique" that I've tried before using black card stock..  Items for this crafty adventure include colored chalk, Stampin' Up! whisper white craft ink (this is different from regular staming ink and is almost the consistency of acrylic paint), black Sharpie pen, sponge dauber, and of course the die.  Can't forget THAT! 
 I started by cutting the bunny border with Wisteria Wonder cardstock from Stampin' Up!  There was no particular reason I used this color, other than I had scraps of it left from cutting my 8x8 inch mat.  After cutting the border, I sponged the entire piece with the white craft ink.  It will take a while for this ink to dry, which is why it works perfectly.   The reason I used white ink on the colored card stock is because I needed a neutral background in order to lay down color from the chalk.   Using the white craft in gives you the neutral background for the color variation, and the sticky ink allows the chalk to "stay put", which it doesn't always do by using white card stock.
 After the surface was sponged in white, I colored the different parts of the die cut with various colors of chalk.  When working this technique, you will want to use more than one shade of each color so that your work takes on a three dimensional look.  I tried to choose colors that matched my patterned paper.  Once you have everything colored the way you like, then it's time to add the eyes, and noses with the black Sharpie marker.   I wanted their tails to have some texture and shimmer, so I added some pearlized dimensional paint to them.  Just give it plenty of time to dry before you glue it down!!
I finished my layout off with a bow and ribbon accent using green grosgrain ribbon.  I love me some ribbon, and find I hardly ever make a card without it!!  Can you say addicted?  LOL!!


All in all, this was a pretty quick and easy page, and I hope it has inspired you to try a chalking  technique.  Thanks so much for visiting The Scrapping Cottage Blog today.  Have a blessed and beautiful day and Happy Crafting!





6 comments:

silvia said...

Adorable!! I LOVE the "pearl" bunny tails!!

Donna said...

I love, love, love your ideas and your techniques, Lorie. Great project. :-) Donna

Cheryl Walker said...

Awww Lorie I LOVE your layout hun, and the bunny border is DARLING!! Love your coloring on this!!
Hugs,
Cheryl

Carol Hurlock said...

Lori this is super cute. I love using chalk with these dies. It makes it fun and fast to put a project together. Your's is just fabulous!

lifesabeach32940 said...

What an AWESOME project and tutorial!! Thank you for sharing both!! ~ Judy

Janice W. said...

Very nice layout! Thanks for sharing how you did the border of bunnies!