Saturday, September 09, 2017

Puppy Trick or Treat

Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog.

Well we are into the 9th day of September. I hope you have made a smooth transition from the hot, humid summer months. Our temperatures have cooled off somewhat rapidly here in Pittsburgh. So fall is coming- maybe a bit sooner than we want (LOL)! With fall comes thoughts of harvest time, pumpkins, hay rides and of course Halloween.

CottageCutz has a new release of Halloween & Christmas dies coming on September 20th. Online ordering is not available right now because of a move to a larger warehouse. But, the DT will be giving you sneak peeks of what's coming until then.

My card today is using some of the new dies: Halloween Pup, Halloween Phrases & More and Halloween Candy Jar. So let's get started with some details on how I created my card.

Step 1: This week I started my card with my layout. Splitcoaststampers had a good one posted for their Wednesday Sketch Challenge #661. I thought it would work great as my card layout. A layout always helps me to jump start my creativity.
Step 2: I looked through my cardstock and patterned papers to see what colors would work best for a fall card. I chose a pumpkin, olive green and purple for the main card colors. I decided to use the patterned paper for the larger part of the background (#2 in above sketch). Embossed the solid colored cardstock with a pumpkin embossing folder.
Background measurements:
patterned paper: 2 1/2" x 5 3/8"
Embossed Pumpkin Cardstock: 1 3/4" x 5 3/8"
I didn't want a seam showing, so I used some ribbon that matched the puppy's hat and my trick or treat words  to cover the seam and also as an accent piece.
Step 3: Time to start the die cutting. I decided to use more bright festive colors for the puppy's hat. He is such a little cutie and I wanted that carried over with the hat as well as the rest of the card. I believe I accomplished that look.
The trick or treat word I wanted placed in the circle element of the sketch. I used the 4th largest die in the CottageCutz circle set. It's approximately 2 1/2" round. This size was a perfect fit.
Step 4: I am ready to start assembly of my card parts. I cut a rectangle (#3) on the sketch. I layered that over a purple panel. It defined the panel a little more. Used the largest pierced rectangle die.
I added a few pumpkin enamel dots on this panel and a spider to the circle panel. The spider is from the new Halloween Candy Jar set. Layered  onto a white cardstock base (4 1/4" x 5 1/2") and my card is complete.
I hope I have given you some inspiration for a cute Halloween card. Remember all the dies will be available on September 20th. So there will be plenty of time to get cards made for Halloween giving.

A couple of our Design Team members are in the path of Hurricane Irma. Sending thoughts and prayers their way for safety and protection. I will see you next Saturday.

Dies I used to create card:

 
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzpiercedrectanglesetbasics.aspx
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzcirclesetbasics.aspx
 
 
 

5 comments:

Anja Ž. said...

I love your cute dog card, Mary!

Lois said...

This is really cute, Mary! I love that candy jar die.

Sukie said...

Adorable card! I love the Halloween pup with his sweet hat! The color combination on your card looks awesome! I love the new Halloween dies!

Pam MacKay said...

Your card is adorable! That die is going straight to my wish list!

Jeanne said...

Cute card! I love the dog and the colors you used