Saturday, August 19, 2017

Chapel in the Woods

Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog.

Hope you have been enjoying all of the beautiful creations that the DT has been showing over these past weeks with the wedding dies. If you haven't seen them, just page back through the Blog for some delightful eye candy.

Today I am using one of the wedding dies, Little Chapel, but I turned it into a chapel in the woods for a Christmas card. So let's get started on how I created my card for today.

Step 1:  As I was thinking about my post for this week, I knew I wanted to do something different with the little chapel die. Then my mind went to Christmas and then to a scene in the woods. I knew I wanted snow and evergreens and also a white card with just a hint of another color.
I pulled out a falling snow embossing folder and started my background.
Step 2: To embellish the snow banks, I used the winter wonderland die for the sledders and the small house, for the pine trees I used the snowglobe winter accessories die and for the smaller trees on the hills I used the winter cabin border (2016 Christmas) die. I snipped these border dies to just use the parts that I wanted in my scene.
Then for my snowy hills, I decided on the jolly snowman die. That had a perfect snowdrift that would work for a hill in my scene. You could also cut your own hills. I covered my hills with glitter.
Step 3: To complete the last of the scene elements, I die cut my little chapel. This is the inspiration die for my card today I sponged some fossilized amber distress ink to give a soft glow to the inside of the church.
Step 4: For the oval frame that surrounds my scene, I used the stitched eyelet die(largest) and also the stitched oval die (2nd largest). I cut one at a time. That works better for me as far as placement. I cut the largest oval first. Then I take the next oval die and place it on that one and run it through my die cut machine. And now you've got your oval frame. It's easy enough.
 
Step 5: With all the elements cut it is now time to start the assembly of my scene. I secured the die cuts with glue dots, multi medium matte and dimensional adhesive. Attached my frame and then the 2 larger pine trees.
Image Panel: 4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
Card Base: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Step 6: I wanted just a touch of color on this all white scene. So I chose to use the Merry Christmas Ribbon (Christmas 2016) die and cut it in red. I snipped off the ribbon part because it was just a bit too large for the corner of my card. Secured this with the multi medium matte. I also did a die inlay technique by placing the Christmas letters back into the die.
 
And, that completes my card for this week. I hope I have given you some inspiration on a way to use a die in a different way. One that was intended for a wedding has now become a part of Christmas.
See you next Saturday.
 
Dies I used to create card:
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzlittlechapelpetites.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzwinterwonderlandborderelites.aspx

 http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzwintercabinborderelites.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/search.aspx?find=merry+christmas+ribbon

 
 

8 comments:

SugarShine Designs said...

Lovely card design Mary! Thanks for sharing your creative planning process. - Janet

Bev Polen said...

Mary, your card is spectacular! I love how you arranged all the die cut pieces to create such a beautiful scene! Great card, Mary!

Sukie said...

Very pretty card! I just love the wintery scene you created! It looks so elegant and beautiful!

Anja Ž. said...

This is such a lovely scene, Mary! Beautiful card!

Pam MacKay said...

Wow Mary your card is just awesome!! I love all the dies you used and how you put them so perfectly together!

Lois said...

I love to see winter cards in the middle of summer. Let's me know that the temps will eventually drop. Your (almost) all white card is marvelous, Mary!

Jeanne said...

Beautiful card. I love the tone on tone white - perfect for a Christmas card.

Janja said...

Lovely card! I like a little scene in the oval.