Saturday, April 14, 2018

Teacup Garden (new die)

Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit with us today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog. We have a new release of dies and they are 25% off for a limited time. The new dies are the Llamas & Botanical. There are 13 new designs in this release.

Today for your viewing pleasure, I am featuring the new Teacup Garden die. I thought it would be a good one to use for a Mother's Day card. So let's get started with the details on how I created this card.

Step 1: This week I started my card with a sketch I found online. I thought it would work perfectly to showcase the Teacup Garden image as well as add layers to my card. Since I like to use patterned paper, the addition of layers to my cards always works for me. This one already had the layer panels and shapes sized out. I usually just estimate sizes but this worked for me this week.
Step 2: I looked through my pattern paper and found this design that had cups on it. Even a cup with a heart - how perfect!. I just had to decide on my other card colors. For my card base, I used melon mambo cardstock that matched the patterned paper.

The center square layer is patterned paper from the same collection. I used the 2nd largest  stitched  rounded square  die to cut it and then a corner rounder.
On the long gray panel I used an embossing folder that somewhat matched the patterned paper underneath it.

Card Measurements:
Melon Mambo Card Base:  4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Patterned Paper Background Layer: 4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
Gray Circle: 4th largest Stitched Circle die
White Circle: 4th largest Circle die
Step 3: Once the card colors and papers were selected, I was ready to cut the teacup and succulent image. For the cup I used melon mambo cardstock, a garden green for the succulent and a pink for my heart, This die even includes a piece to simulate dirt. For that,  I used chocolate chip cardstock.
Step 4: I started some of the card assembly. Attached all of the panels except the image panel. I wanted to stamp my sentiment first so I would have the placement I wanted before I attached the image.
Since I was using a photopolymer stamp set, I pulled out my MISTI just in case I didn't get a good image the first time around. I thought the first stamping was a bit light so I inked and stamped a 2nd time. 
I attached the cup to the white circle with dimensional adhesive and then attached it to the gray circle.
 
 Step 5: Instead of another circle that is in the sketch, I decided to use a Stitched Heart and stamp the "Mother Phrase' on it. With a sketch you don't always have to use the shape called for. As long as your finished product looks like the sketch layout, you're good.
 
The stamp I am using is a cling stamp so I used my stamp-a-ma-jig for placement. With this tool you are stamping on plastic, and in the photo it looks like its not a good image. But, you are only using the plastic for a straight alignment. Once it's stamped, it's fine and usually with the cling stamps I get a good impression the first time. I haven't figured out how to use the MISTI with these stamps.
 
 
To complete my card, I attached the heart. I thought about adding some sequins or enamel dots. But with the background paper pattern being a bit busy I thought they would be lost. So it's complete as is and now I have another card for Mother's Day. 
I hope I have given you another idea on a way to use these new dies. For additional samples, look back on the blog. the DT has been showing them all week. I will see you next Saturday.
 
dies I used to create card:
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzteacupgarden.aspx
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzcirclesetbasics.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzstitchedcirclesetbasics.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzstitchedheartsetbasics.aspx
http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzstitchedroundedsquaresetbasics.aspx
 
 


7 comments:

SugarShine Designs said...

Great card for Mom Mary! Very creative.

Pam MacKay said...

So cute I love the color combo and that background paper is adorable!

Lois said...

This would make a great birthday, Mother's Day, or just I love you, Mom, card> How fortunate that you had the perfect patterned paper> Lovely card, Mary!

Anja Ž. said...

Such a great layout! The card is beautiful.

Sherry said...

That paper is just perfect. I can't believe how well it matches the cup with the heart.I've never used sketches and love the way layered cards look but struggle on how to do them myself. I may have to give the sketches a try and see if that works for me. ~ Sherry

Jeanne said...

Love how you used the sketch! Beautiful card!

Janja said...

Beautiful card! How cute is this little garden in a cup.