Monday, January 15, 2018

HOPE

Hi, Lois here with another card using one of the dies in the CottageCutz get-well release.  There is
a card-making technique that is currently popping up all over the place -- the Eclipse technique.   Basically, it involves stacking layers of die-cuts for a raised, camouflaged sentiment or image.  I used this technique today on my Joy Fold Card, in which I used the CottageCutz HOPE die.


The cardstock and patterned paper for my card was cut as follows:

Pink - 4 1/4" x 8 1/2"
Brown - 4" x 8"
Patterned paper:
     1 piece - 4" x 5 1/4"
     1 piece - 2 3/4" x 4"
     2 pieces - 2 3/4" x 3 3/4"
Pieces of white and dark pink cardstock


I used a second, larger sheet of patterned paper the same as the paper I will be using on the front of my small panel.  I matched up the pattern of the smaller piece and placed my die so that the word would be centered on the smaller panel and the patterns would line up.


I then found a piece of darker pink cardstock and cut five of the large ribbons from the dark pink cardstock (as well as the small "inside of the ribbon") and the rest of the letters from white cardstock.


I then ran the letters through my Xyron sticker maker so that it would be easy to stack them.


I colored the small "inside" of the ribbon with a Copic marker (see small photo in upper left-hand corner) and stacked the letters, making sure the patterned paper was the top layer.


To construct my card, I scored the 4 1/4" x 8 1/2" pink cardstock at 5 1/2" and the 4" x 8" brown cardstock at 4".  I then added the patterned paper, as shown.


The small panel is centered on the inside panel of the card base, so that the small top panel folds over the left hand panel of the base.



I then carefully added the letters, making sure that the pattern on the letters lined up with the designer paper.


For the inside, I cut a brown and a white oval shape, using the CottageCutz Double-Stitched Oval.


I stamped an encouraging sentiment on the white oval and carefully trimmed it down by cutting on the inside stitch marks . . .


. . . glued the white oval onto the brown oval and adhered it to the inside of the card.


I added the photo clip to the bottom left-hand corner with a matching brad to hold the small panel closed, and I was finished.



CottageCutz dies used on this card are:

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzhope.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzdouble-stitchedovalsetbasics.aspx

7 comments:

Sukie said...

Such a pretty card! I love the fun design you created too! Have a wonderful day!

Jeanne said...

Great card. I love your use of the eclipse technique!

Mary Marsh said...

You did a great job with the eclipse technique Lois- I have been wanting to try that one myself-and I always love your fancy fold cards- creative work

Pam MacKay said...

Love the technique you used and the paper look great too!

SugarShine Designs said...

Very elegant card. The base card design is nice too. -Janet

Janja said...

Nice card! I also like the color combination.

Anja Ž. said...

This is so elegant. I love everything about this card. Great layout and such a great idea with the letters.